Stereo Maker 2!
For a description of this applet see my Java
stereogram article in the January 1997 issue of Microsoft
Interactive Developer .
- Two types of histograms can be generated: (1)Image stereograms
from a gif file or (2) Random Dot Stereograms (RDS). The latter is
the initial state.
- For Image stereograms, pick the backplane image desired from
the Image menu on bottom right.
- For RDS two or three colors can be selected.
- Startup for RDS begins with display of the depth image with
blue letters and black background. For the Image type, the inital
image is displayed and then the depth image.
- The stereogram generation then uses the depth information to
construct the stereogram. This can take up to a minute depending
on your computer power. [I've tried to indicate the progress
with statusbar messages but they seem to get behind the true
- New stereograms can be generated with different depth images
by placing up to 5 characters in the Input box.
- You can experiment with some of the stereogram parameters by
varying the controls described below.
- Hit Redraw to make a new stereogram with the current control
- Input = characters to be displayed
- Sep Factor = ratio of min stereo separation to max. It scales
the depth of view range.
- dpi = dots per inch (change this to the value for your screen
for best results.)
- Char Size = Point size of character font drawn on
- Oversample = Improves the resolution by calculating for an
initial number of pixels a factor "oversample" as big as the final
value. Then averaging for final display. Slows computation time
roughly by this factor, however. Only works for Image type
- Image/RDS menu - choose type of stereogram to generate.
- 3 color menus. In the rightmost color menu, choose "none" to
make 2 color RDS.
- Image menu with choices for the Image type stereogram.
- Redraw will create a new stereogram.
Java StereoMaker Version 2: 12-March-1996
The stereogram calculations are based primarily on the work by W. A.
S. Lindsey firstname.lastname@example.org